- Ask each direct report for ideas about how they can use more of their natural genius.
- Reassign tasks and responsibilities across your team to better align with people’s genius.
- Give each direct report more ownership in an existing work area.
- Add an engaging side project to the person’s workload.
- Highlight and appreciate each direct report’s natural genius when you talk to them about their work.
5 Ways to Multiply Your Team’s Natural Genius — and Unlock Their Full Contribution
Genius is everywhere — if you look for it. Every person has things that they not only do exceptionally well but also love to do — their natural genius. And they want to contribute those abilities in ways that are seen and valued. By leading like a Multiplier, you can unlock the natural genius of every member of your team. Research shows that Multipliers get more from the people they lead — much more. They get more intelligent action, more skillful problem solving, and more concentrated effort.
"When people work with a Multiplier, they hold nothing back. They offer the very best of their thinking, creativity, and ideas." -Liz Wiseman
Try these FranklinCovey best practices for guiding your team members’ work in ways that allow each of them to make full use of their natural genius.
1. Ask each direct report for ideas about how they can use more of their natural genius.
Once you and your direct reports have identified each person’s natural genius, they’ll likely have ideas for how to apply it to their work.
After all, they’re the experts. But if you have an explicit conversation about it, you’ll raise their awareness further and help them take a more proactive role in their development.